Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Shepherd's Pie Twist

I really am alive and starting to cook again!  Last week I actually made a new recipe for the first time in several months, and we both enjoyed it!  I always looked down upon Shepherds Pie for some reason it seemed blah to me, but this was a good twist.

1 pound ground beef (or turkey, or a combination)
1 handful of diced onions (I keep a bag in the freezer of diced onions for cooking) [more or less for your liking, it's just to season the meat]
1 cup bbq sauce
Frozen corn [original recipe had 1 can corn]
Frozen Peas [about 1 can's worth...]
1 package instant mashed potatoes

Shredded cheese & Fritos optional

Cook ground beef and the onions in a skillet, until beef is brown; drain well.  [I also always season my ground beef/turkey mixture with some of the following: garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, parsley, oregano or red pepper]  Stir in barbecue sauce, corn and peas.  Heat to boiling, adding a little water if needed; then reduce heat to low to keep warm.  Meanwhile, cook potatoes as directed on package. [I used the betty crocker packets because that's what I had on hand]  Adding some butter, and/or milk never hurts potatoes.  Spoon potatoes onto center of beef mixture; sprinkle cheese over potatoes and beef mixture if desired; serve with Fritos.  This is where the original recipe ended however, I can't follow recipes (I think we've already established this...) and I was waiting (with no end in sight) on a certain hungry soldier to get home.  So, I put the whole pan in the oven on warm until he got home for dinner.  Either way, enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment