Sunday, February 3, 2013

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Some friends of ours made a [pureed] Broccoli Cheese Soup that I loved.  I knew immediately I wanted to make it, so I began brainstorming.  In my head I thought it couldn't be that hard, and it really wasn't.  Shane and I both love soup, especially living where it actually gets cold in the winter, and broccoli cheese is no exception.  All of the ingredients are estimates, it really isn't an exact measurement type of recipe, just keep tasting and adding whatever you'd like.


3 Cups [I used frozen] Broccoli
1/4 Cup Chopped Onion
Butter
4oz Velveeta
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
3 Teaspoons Flour
1-2 Cups Milk
1-2 Cups Chicken Broth [I used chicken bouillon and water]
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper
2 Cups Cooked Rice [I used brown whole grain, but anything will work]
(I have also seen some recipes add fresh garlic while sauteing the onions, and/or adding pureed carrots to the mix)

**Pardon my non-recipe-writing-skills as I hack this recipe out.** 
First saute the chopped onion in a little butter.  Then toss those puppies in the food processor (yes, the Darville families new best friend).  Next put the frozen broccoli in a medium pot with the chicken broth, and thaw.  After it is thawed, throw the broccoli in the food processor as well!  Now grind/chop/blend the onions and broccoli until pureed.  With just the chicken broth left, add milk and heat.  Then stir in flour to make a thicker consistency.  Add the puree back to your pot.  Similarly, add all of the cheeses, garlic powder, salt and pepper (to taste-not a big deal!).  Stir over medium heat until everything is melted.  It should still be semi watery.  Add cooked rice (which should help thicken), and heat just until warm.  Serve, eat, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment